Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Keep on Rollin'

So last night I worked up the courage to try something I've been wanting to do for a VERY long time....

ROLLER DERBY!!!!

I had to drive 45 minutes to get to the closest teams practice but it was totally worth it! At first, I won't lie, I was super scared to even get out of my car when I pulled up! When I finally got out of my car and walked in to the building I spent a few minutes on the phone with a friend in the entrance way trying to work up the courage to even walk in to the actual rink area. (In case you didn't know, I HATE HATE HATE going new places alone and having to meet new people I literally almost have anxiety attacks over it....if I'm with someone else though, I'm super outgoing....weird...I know) I finally got off the phone stuck it in my pocket and hung out on the back wall waiting for the chance to ask someone who I needed to talk to about finding more out (There were only a few people that were still getting their gear on...most of the girls were already on the floor skating). I stood back and waited until one by one each of the girls putting their gear on glided off to skate until there was only one girl left and that was it, it was now or never.

I walked up to her and asked who I needed to talk to and she hollered at another girl that is a staff member for the team and she was awesome, she answered all my questions and laughed at my bad jokes. Finally she introduced me to one of the derby girls that is in charge of Freshmeat (that's what they call the newbies) and I got to talk to her for a minute and she said "Next time we'll get you in some skates." my quick reply was "I have my skates in my car, I brought them just in case." (yes I have my own skates...I skated all the time up until I was about 15) she told me to go get 'em and that I could borrow the other gear.

Little did I know the borrowed gear was out of a stinky nasty grab bag...all the gear had been worn down and beaten up. Did I mind though, NO because I was getting to skate, I was going to learn Roller Derby. The helmet I had didn't have a buckle and we had to tape it on, my elbow pads were ripped, my knee pads barely had any Velcro left and my wrist guards had seen better days...but that was ok with me! I got all the gear on and I was ready to skate!

 That is exactly what DIDN'T happen...my first lesson, learn to fall correctly. NOT what I had dressed for doing in my t-shirt and blue jeans. I thought they were just going to let me skate around and show me some foot work...boy was I wrong. I'm not big on falling...it just isn't my thing. I realize that in this sport, that is just part of it and you HAVE to know how to do it right.

IT KICKED MY BUTT!!! I was so sweaty by the end of it I felt like I had just gotten out of the shower. I sweat in places I didn't know you could sweat and hurt in places I didn't even know could hurt. I was literally to the point where I wanted to pass out just so I could stop trying to do a "monkey roll" fall. I hurt so bad at the end I didn't think I could move enough to get my stinky borrowed gear off. When I finally did get it all off and got my skates off I felt MUCH better and I just knew that this is something I want to keep doing. The feeling I got being back on my skates outweighed all the pain and sweat and stink. So yes, if you see me around and I have a slight limp or I'm moving a little slow...it's because I'm going to be training to be a Derby Girl!

Now I just have to think of a Derby name that isn't already taken or too close to another girls name (yes they are super serious about this stuff... http://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/  that's the website that they list all registered derby names on) So, if anyone has any suggestions on a name...feel free to comment!

3 comments:

  1. LOL!! That is awesome!! Sounds like something I would totally loooove to do! I'm glad you went out of your comfort zone and ended up having a blast :) I dunno if you've seen that post around facebook but it shows that magic happens outside your comfort zone!! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up lady! You will love this sport. Welcome to our derby family victoria :)

    Bianca Bullet

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so glad to have you girl. You are coming along awesomely. Much love to ya chicka and see you at Practice. :)

    Bashful Brawler

    ReplyDelete